Port Wine Recipe: Custard PiesEnjoy with Sandeman Porto Tawny 30 Years Old Ingredients
- 8 egg yolks
- 220 g of sugar
- 7 g of unflavoured powdered gelatine
- 600 ml of fresh cream
- 1 vanilla pod, cut and with loosened seeds
- 250 g of unraised flour
- 110 g of cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 110 g of icing sugar
- 1 egg
- Make the dough by adding the flour, butter and icing sugar in a bowl and mix well until you get a breadcrumb texture. Add the egg, mix well and shape into a ball. Wrap the dough ball in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC. Roll out the dough onto a surface dusted with flour. Line 6 small terrines with the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cover the dough with grease-proof paper and fill with dry beans or uncooked rice, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the weights and return to the oven for another 5 minutes until all the dough is dry and golden. Remove from the oven and cool on an oven grid.
- To make the filling, beat the yolks with 50 g sugar until you get a clear mixture. Set aside. Place the cream in a small bowl, scrape the vanilla seeds and pods and add. Bring to the boil and remove the pods. Stirring constantly, carefully add the hot cream. Sieve the mixture back into the pan and cook over a low heat until thickened.
- Dissolve the gelatin in 1 tablespoon of water, in a cup, and place in a pan of hot water over a low heat, stirring constantly until the gelatin has fully dissolved. Add to the custard and mix well. Pour into a bowl, cover with grease-proof paper and refrigerate. In the meantime, to make the caramel sticks for decorating, line an oven tray with aluminium paper. Place the rest of the sugar and 7 tablespoons of water in a deep pan. Warm over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved (don\\\'t stir after this happens). Raise the heat slightly and cook until golden. Remove from the heat and pour over the oven tray. Allow to cool completely, after which you can break it into pieces.
- To serve, fill the tarts with the custard. Sprinkle with icing sugar and garnish with pieces of caramel.
Venison steak, spiced red cabbage, chestnut purée
Brie and black olives pastry
Meringues with brandy cream
Chestnut chocolate cream